Typically when I do a 'Nine Songs' piece for The Line of Best Fit, I receive the list of songs in advance and try to find out some interesting details about each one. In this case, Tori more or less chose the songs off the top of her head, which made the conversation a little more one-sided than usual. That's not me complaining; it's really an honour and a joy to talk to Tori about anything. Of course, I would have loved to chat more about her deeply felt new album, Ocean to Ocean – probably my favourite since the epic Scarlet's Walk – but that will have to wait for another time. Listen below!
"I think that being in the desert speaks to certain people. For me, it brings a clarity of thought. I’ve had so many revelations out there. I’ve made commitments out there to myself." – T.A.
1. 'Mama Said' by Carleen Anderson
2. 'In God’s Country' by U2
3. 'Fight It Out' by Pat Benatar
4. 'Send In The Clowns' by Stephen Sondheim
5. 'Streets of Philadelphia' by Bruce Springsteen
6. 'Diamonds & Rust' by Joan Baez
7. 'Living for the City' by Stevie Wonder
8. '“On Saturday Afternoons in 1963' by Rickie Lee Jones
9. 'Eleanor Rigby' by The Beatles